Monday, May 5, 2014

Japer



Here is Jasper who lives in my yard.  She has been digging in my gardens and eating my lovely violas, also pictured here.  The squirrels dig where she doesn't, so I have had to treat the gardens and my pots to discourage Jasper and her buddies from interfering with my lovelies.  The pots are currently planted with oregano and thyme too small to repel the digging creatures with their scent. 

First, I have used MoleMax.  This is a granule that is spread in the garden or on the lawn to repel burrowing animals.  Its active ingredient is castor oil.  Apparently this, like the aforementioned herbs, is what is known as a "scent barrier."  The critters can't stand the smell of castor oil - who can?

In order to discourage Jasper from eating my violas and rose leaves, I have sprayed them with a concoction of my own made of water, Tabasco, garlic powder, dish soap and a touch of vinegar.  Now, in the first place the soap and garlic discourage insects.   Indeed this is the organic garden's first line of defense against infestation. The Tabasco and small amount of vinegar are not palatable to Jasper.  Thus, encouraging her to eat grass and the things I am growing for her.  I am spraying this liberally on any plant being eaten by Ms. Watership Down. None of this discourages bees to my knowledge.  


No comments:

Post a Comment